Sunday, March 23, 2008

Journal #14

Lee Server wrote a very elaborate article about Jackie Chan (the article we read in class). In the article, Server discussed Chan as a unique artist in the display of his cultural identity. Also last Wednesday, we discovered 8 nationalities represented in our classroom. Although there are features that make us unique as an individual, more often than not, our culture plays a big part in our identity.What makes you unique? How do you display your cultural identity.List (in a paragraph form) the features which make you unique as an individual. Connect your individuality with our cultural identity.

My cultural identity

My cultural identity displays a part of my life. I was born in Thailand. I grow up with my family which has grandmother, father, mother, two older brothers, and one older sister. I am a youngest sister in this family, so I have to follow the rule and obey who is older than me. Sometime, I had fight with my older sister. My mother would complain us about why we had to fight together because both of you are real sister. If we don’t love each other, it means that nobody will be like both of you. In addition, my mother always told me to help another person especially children and elder. My mother didn’t ignore to help them. I still remember and continue to do it. Although, I may be get a problem after I help them, but I really feel uncomfortable to ignore them. For example, my friend forgot homework at her house which was very important to her for send to her teacher. While we were waiting to study next class, I decided that I had to drive my car to pick up her homework even if we would have oral presentation in 15 minute. The last thing display about my cultural identity is my respectability. I always greet ,which action by raising two hands to touch together and put two hands on the center of my chest and after that slowly bow my head touch my hands ,a person who older than me before I went to school. However, in current I don’t live with them but I still do this action when I see Thai persons who are older than me in Unite States.

No comments: